NetBeans 5.5.1 UML Modeling Download and Installation Instructions
NetBeans 5.5.1 UML Modeling provides UML modeling features to
the NetBeans IDE. UML modeling allows analysts and designers to design applications using a standard modeling language. Developers
are then able to generate source code from the UML model and update the model from changes made in their source code.
UML Modeling can be downloaded and installed via the NetBeans Update Center. You can access the update center by clicking
Tools >Update Center in the main menu of the NetBeans IDE.
Note to Mac Users: NetBeans UML Modeling is currently not supported on the Macintosh OS X platform. Please see the Release Notes for the Mac OS platform to get more information about the known issues and workarounds.
This topic specifies the prerequisite that must be met before you start to install NetBeans UML Modeling.
The following software must be installed before you attempt to install NetBeans UML Modeling:
Note: For information about system requirements for NetBeans UML Modeling, see the NetBeans UML Modeling Release Notes.
- NetBeans IDE 5.5.1 (hereinafter referred to as the IDE) Download IDE now.
Downloading and Installing the Software
This section contains instructions for downloading and installing NetBeans UML Modeling on all supported
If you have previously installed any Beta versions of NetBeans UML Modeling, you do not need to uninstall the Beta
version. However, there will be some slight differences in the latter part of the installation process and these will be noted in the steps below.
- Click Tools > Update Center from the main menu of the IDE.
The Update Center wizard appears.
- In the Select Location of Modules page, select the NetBeans
Update Center checkbox, if it is not already selected.
- Optionally, unselect all other checkboxes to minimize the number of items in the resulting list of available modules.
- Click Next.
A progress dialog appears as the IDE connects to the the NetBeans Update
- In the Select Modules to Install page of the Update Center
wizard, scroll to the UML Modeling node under the Features folder.
- Select the UML Modeling module and click Add.
All the UML Modeling module and its required dependent library modules
should appear in the Include in Install pane on the right.
- Click More to view the UML Modeling project page.
A separate web browser displays the UML project page.
- Return to the Update Center wizard and click Next.
- Read and Accept the four UML licenses.
The Download Modules page appears and progress is shown as the modules
Note: If you are upgrading from a Beta version of NetBeans UML Modeling, you will not be prompted to accept the four UML licenses.
- After the modules have been downloaded, click Next.
The list of certificates are made available for your viewing.
- Click Finish.
If you are upgrading from a Beta version of NetBeans UML Modeling, the Restart the IDE dialog appears. Proceed to the next step
If you are not upgrading from a Beta version, the installation of the UML module continues. This takes a few minutes after the Update Center wizard
disappears. When the installation is complete, you will see the
message 'Turning on
modules...done' displayed in the lower left corner of the IDE
- From the Restart the IDE dialog, choose Restart the IDE and click OK to continue with the installation of NetBeans UML Modeling.
If you choose Install Later, NetBeans UML Modeling is not installed until the next time the IDE is restarted.
- Read the Release Notes page for important information about the release.
Increasing Memory Settings
The default memory settings for NetBeans should be increased when working with UML projects in the IDE. Once you have installed the UML module, use the following steps to ensure proper memory settings in the IDE while working with UML projects.
- From the main menu of the IDE, click Help > About and click the Detail tab.
- Determine the path to the NetBeans551-install-directory in which you installed the NetBeans 5.5.1 IDE by locating the
Current Dir field.
For example, the default installation directory is
Files\netbeans-5.5.1 on the Microsoft Windows platform.
- Change directory to the NetBeans551-install-directory you identified in the previous step.
- Change to the
- Edit the
- In the
netbeans_default_options line, change the
-J-Xmx128m command line switch option to
Note: If after completing this step you still experience heap overflows while working with larger files,
you should increase this value further.