NetBeans Visual Library in NetBeans Platform 6.0
The Visual Library is the next generation of the original Graph Library. Now it is designed for a general visualization with support for graph-oriented modeling. Its focus is to become a part of the NetBeans platform and unify the visualization (UI and API) used in NetBeans-platform-based applications.
Run ShowMind using WebStart - a demo of the Visual Library with NetBeans Platform (downloads 11MB, requires Java 5 or later). Contributed by JinBing Zhang.
Visual Library 6.0 Tutorial - how to integrate library with the NetBeans Platform. Contributed by Geertjan Wielenga.
Visual Database Explorer Tutorial - making a visual database explorer. Contributed by Anton Epple.
XML Multiview and Visual Library Tutorial - Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 - integration of XML Multiview with Visual Library. Contributed by Vadiraj Deshpande.
Javalobby demo - a demo of the Visual Library features. Contributed by Roman Strobl.
- March 15th, - The Visual Library 2.0 is a part of NetBeans Platform 6.0.
- March 14th, - The third and the last official build of Visual Library 2.0-pre3 has been released.
- March 8th, - The Visual Library 2.0 API has been accepted with TCRs by the review committee. For details, see opinion document.
- February 6th, - The release551 branch has been created for stabilization of Visual Library 2.0 for NetBeans 5.5.1.
- January 31st, - The second official build of Visual Library 2.0-pre2 has been released.
- October 2nd, - The first official build of Visual Library 2.0-pre1 has been released.
From now on, the Visual Library is a part of NetBeans Platform 6.0 which is distributed with Milestone releases. You can use the library by setting a dependency on org.netbeans.api.visual module.
The Visual Library 2.0-pre3 (the third official "pre" version) build is available (Visual-Library-2.0-pre3.zip).
The Visual Library 2.0-pre2 (the second official "pre" version) build is available (Visual-Library-2.0-pre2.zip).
The Visual Library 2.0-pre1 (the first official "pre" version) build is available (Visual-Library-2.0-pre1.zip).
The Visual Library 2.0-dev is built weekly and is available at Project Files.
The GraphLib 1.0 is available at Project Files too.
Roadmap for Visual Library in NetBeans 6.0
Currently the Visual Library is stable and it is a part of NetBeans Platform 6.0. Therefore all requested changes are following standard or fast API review. For details, see API review guidelines.
The plan is to release the library stable in NetBeans 6.0 FCS. Therefore the main focus is going to be on stabilization assured by higher coverage with automated visual tests and implementing additional requested and planned features.
Features in Visual Library in NetBeans 6.0
- General visualization
- Support for graph-oriented models
- Widget based UI appearance definition
- Action based UI behaviour definition
- Pre-defined high-level actions
- Visual Feedback
- Zoom in/out
- Level-of-details widget
- Animation support
- Object states
- Selection/focus model
- Satelite view
- Bird view
- In-place editing
- Action tools
- ComponentWidget - AWT/Swing components on scene
- Collapse/expand API
Planned Features of Visual Library in NetBeans 6.0
Following features are planned to be implemented for NetBeans 6.0:
- Graph-oriented layout - hierarchical
- Pre-defined high-level widgets
- WidgetAction performance optimalization
- Large-scale visualization
- Printing support
Bugs and Enhancements
The list of currently known issues for the Visual Library is tracked by Issuezilla.
If you find a bug, please, enter an issue on graph module into Issuezilla.
If you have a request for an enhancement, please, enter an issue on graph module into Issuezilla.
Build and Try
For building and executing, visit setup page.
The Visual Library development is available in the main trunk.
The Visual Library 2.0-pre1 version is marked with the graph2pre1 tag.
The Visual Library 2.0-pre2 version is marked with the graph2pre2 tag.
The Visual Library 2.0-pre3 version is marked with the graph2pre3 tag.
The Visual Library 2.0 for NetBeans 5.5.1 is available in the release551 branch.
The Graph Library 1.0 is available in the graph1 branch.
New features are going to be introduced in the main trunk only.
The release551 branch is in stabilization mode. Only bug fixes can be integrated there.
Documents and Links
- Visual Library 2.0 API Documentation
- Visual Library 2.0 - FAQ
- Javalobby demo - a demo of Visual Library features on javalobby
- Geertjan's Weblog about Visual Library 2.0
- Toni's Weblog about Visual Database Explorer - step by step tutorial about making a visual database explorer
- XML Multiview and Visual Library Tutorial - Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 - step by step tutorial about integration of XML Multiview with Visual Library
- NextBridge - ShowMind - examples of integration of Visual Library 2.0 with NetBeans Platform (Window System, Node, Lookup APIs)
- JavaOne2006 slides of TS-8943: NetBeans Common Framework for Information Visualization
- Obsolete - Common Usages of Visual Library 2.0 API